This site is dedicated for the special team of paramedics based in Christchurch, New Zealand.
The Red Shift monthly clinical catch ups (Coffee & Cases) is supplemented by the online discussion and the links (FOAM/FOAMed) to learn from the world’s best.
* FOAM = Free Open Access Meducation
Dr. Scott Orman from Auckland HEMS stated in 2013;
- Social media for FOAM is tremendously powerful, and it is here to stay. We should embrace it as a teaching tool.
- The power of FOAM lies in the ability to transmit not just medical information, but EXPERIENCE – i.e valuable lessons that you would otherwise learn the hard way in resus or on the road.
- Although there are risks in using FOAM, the benefits vastly outweigh them.
- There is a moral (but possibly not legal) responsibility on the part of someone producing/disseminating FOAM material to ensure that it is as accurate as possible.
- The legal responsibility for translating FOAM material into clinical care ultimately lies with the clinician who provides care to the patient.
Please be kind to share your knowledge and experience.